Sunday, June 20, 2010

Fathers Day

Today my training plan called for a 10 mile run followed by a :45 minute bike. This day of training I dedicate to my father William Howard Clarke who I lost on September 4th 1981. I know that I owe so much of my endurance and ability to over come pain to my father. Two stories come to mind about my dad's strength in these areas...countless miles we spent hiking down cliffs to a secluded beach in Mexico to get a prime SCUBA diving spot. My father would carry his equipment and half of mine up and down these rugged paths that were carved in to the cliffs. We would do our dive, relax on the beach together and then we would hike back up the cliff with my dad again carrying most of the gear.
The other story is the 4th of July my father had a handful of sparklers ignite in his hand. They literally burned in to his hand as he tried to shake the off. He was so calm about it and at first was not going to see a doctor for his third degree burns. Amazing. I love you dad. Thank you for the many gifts you have given me.
Me and dad above in 1961. On the right is dad and I circa 1979. Yes that's my real hair!

No comments:

Post a Comment